Saturday, July 7, 2007

A Day Late - Sunset Strip


The modern news cycle moves way to fast for me to ever keep up. So the best I can do is write my thoughts on a subject a week after the rest of the world has already posted and debated every possible opinion and position on said subject. By the time I get around to it, my words look both unoriginal and redundant. But if I let that stop me, these pages would remain blank. Not that anyone would notice if that happened. That absence of an audience does provide the benefit of not having to worry about timeliness. Since, I am the only one being entertained by this blog, I will continue in the grand tradition of kicking a dead horse and over-indulging my own egomania.

Today's thought is a week and a half old. Last Thursday was the concluding episode of the massively disappointing failed TV series Studio 60 from the Sunset Strip. As most left-leaning individuals, I loved the West Wing (At least the first 4 Aaron Sorkin years before John Wells made it soapier than General Hospital). That is why I bought into the hype surrounding Sorkin's new show, Studio 60, and was anxiously awaiting its arrival at the start of the TV season. Unfortunately, it was a complete nonstarter from the very beginning. It treated the backstage mechanizations of a TV show as if they represented life or death consequences and that opinions of pampered Hollywood types about national policy mattered to anyone. The pomposity of it all was over the top. It was as if Sorkin sought to continue the West Wing but in Hollywood. If he just would have stuck to juicy insider details about making a show and a light hearted tone, it might have worked. But no, we have supposed comedy actors more concerned about war in Iraq than making anyone laugh.

The inappropriateness of the tone certainly ruined the show but the most annoying part for me was the so-called Christian true-believer. This token representative of the faith was supposed to provide the balanced view that the West Wing was missing. But instead, this character played out as way for Sorkin to show that his beliefs were superior to anything the religious right has to say. We are told she that she is a true and faithful servant despite her residence in the Sodom and Gomorrah of Hollywood. What we are shown is a woman who constantly questions her faith while those around her steadfastly defend their own. We see a woman who is more than willing to subserviate her own religion to be with an atheist man who has no intention of doing the same for her. What a bastion of modern Christianity.

Goodbye and good riddance (Even though I watched every awful episode).



No comments: